Foundation is something unignorable when it comes to makeup. They weren’t lying when they said finding yourself the right foundation is as hard as finding yourself a good man and it’s more difficult for Asian woman as the makeup industry is not yet as varied as Asia is. It’s a real struggle for Asian women to find the best foundation for Asian skin with perfect shade and formula for their complexion. I can say that because I, an Asian woman, have a stack of unused foundations that were either the wrong shade or wrong formula for my skin. But after years of what seemed to be a never-ending cycle of going to the department store, buying a foundation, and returning home just to be disappointed, I’ve cracked the code for the best foundation for Asian Skin and I’ve got 10 of them with a complete foundation match guideline to help you out!
Best foundation for Asian skin
- Best foundation for Asian skin
- The Ultimate Foundation Match Guideline
- 10 Best Foundation for Asian Skin
- 1. MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation
- 2. BareMinerals Barepro Performance Wear Powder Foundation
- 3. UD Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup Foundation
- 4. COVERGIRL truBlend Liquid Foundation Makeup Perfect Beige M6, 1 oz
- 5. Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15, No. 3.5 Warm Beige, 1 Ounce
- 6. Clinique Even Better Makeup
- 7. Milani Conceal + Perfect 2-in-1 Foundation Concealer
- 8. Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
- 9. Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation
- 10. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 for All Skin Types, No. 2c3 Fresco, 1 Ounce
- Things to consider when you’re buying foundation
Recommended foundation for Asian skin
In case you are in a bit of a hurry, then here are out two favorite foundations that suit Asian skin tone:
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15, No. 3.5 Warm Beige, 1 Ounce – (Long wearing, lightweight, great coverage, UV protection)
- Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation – Editor’s Choice for 2018, Average customer rating of 5 out of 5, worth the price, and is focused on Asian skin type
The Ultimate Foundation Match Guideline
What I discovered most importantly was that to find the best foundation for Asian skin (or any skin for that matter) it’s crucial to find what your undertone and skin type is. Now, skin undertone and skin type are different for every woman, which is why it is important to understand how to know yours. It’s pretty simple. Celebrity Makeup Artist Bob Scotts revealed in his interview with Cosmopolitan that anyone can easily figure out their skin’s undertone by just their veins of the wrists. If the veins on the underside of your wrists are mostly blue or purple-ish in color, then you’re cool undertoned, and if they’re more olive/greenish in color, you’re warm undertoned. If you’re a whole mix of yellow, green and blue, you my friend are a neutral undertone. After that its a piece of cake.
10 Best Foundation for Asian Skin
Most of the makeup brand such as L’Oréal Paris, CoverGirl, and Revlon have really good complexion-matching applications on their websites. You just have to log on and answer a few questions about your skin and they’ll provide you a complete foundation match guideline with related product and color suggestions.
The Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation is one of the best foundations for Asian skin. It’s really comfortable to the skin and is most known for its unbelievably natural-looking skin. It’s perfect for Asian skin because it fits all skin types and has a long lasting natural looking finish.
- Long-lasting, lightweight, and full coverage
- 40 different shades available, from “Alabaster” to “Dark Brown”
- Fits all skin types
- Creates natural flawless complexion on and off camera.
The BareMinerals Bare Pro Powder Foundation has a really good formula that fits Asian skin perfectly. It’s breathable and gives an ultra-smooth, silky finish to the skin. It’s clinically approved to stay put for a full 12 hours, giving you a long-lasting wear.
- Available in 20 different shades
- Customizable coverage
- Clinically shown to improve skin clarity, reduce pore size appearance and control shine.
The Naked Skin Weightless Liquid Foundation is really an amazing product. As the name goes, its oil-free and lightweight formula is supposed to give you a very natural and lightweight wear to the extent it almost feels like your own ‘skin’. And it actually does. It’s really lightweight and great for a day to day basis. It leaves a demi-matte finish so its great if you don’t prefer a lot of shine on your face but don’t want it to be completely matte.
- Light-weight and oil free
- Demi-matte finish
Now this one is for all my drugstore beauties out there. Covergirl is a great drugstore brand that some people even prefer over MAC or other high-end brand and this COVERGIRL TruBlend Liquid Foundation is an absolutely perfect example to show you why. This foundation is made to match 99% of all skin tones, so it’s the winner there. With its InvisiBlend Technology, you won’t even be able to tell if you have foundation or not. It’s available in 21 different shades and it’s really buildable.
- Matches 99% of skin tones
- TrueBlend Technology to blend seamlessly with the skin.
- Available in 27 different shades: 7 light, 7 medium, and 7 dark.
If you go to any article on the internet searching for the best foundation for Asian skin, you’ll find one thing same with every article, and that’s the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation. Almost every beauty guru swears by this foundation and a lot of makeup artists use it on celebs. Its got a sheer coverage that blends really well with the skin. It’s long-wearing and moisturizing and also protects from harmful UV rays. It’s available in wide range of shades to suit every skin tone and is suitable for all skin types.
- Long wearing and lightweight
- The moisturizing formula that gives you a luminous glow
- Minimizes pores and hides imperfections
Clinique is my go-to brand whenever I need something related to skin care. The Clinique Even Better Makeup is a dermatologist-developed liquid foundation that’s great for brightening and evening out your skin tone. It’s got naturally luminous minerals that leave your skin looking healthy, hydrated and oil-free. It’s great for older skin that it visibly diminishes age spots and gives youthful radiance to the skin.
- Brightens and evens out the skin tone
- Improves clarity and diminishes age spots within 4-6 week.
- Medium to full coverage.
People swear by this Milani Conceal+Perfect 2 in 1 Foundation, and I wouldn’t wonder why. It has one of the best formulae for a full yet very natural coverage and the most shocking part is its just $8. I know people are a bit skeptic when it comes to drugstore foundation, and so was I, but it totally proved me wrong. Although I would suggest you be careful while picking up the right shade because people have complained about the colors not being very true.
- Very pigmented and fits all skin type.
- Conceals imperfections
Among all the Smashbox foundations, the Studio Skin 15 hours wear is personally my favorite. Though it didn’t last as long as 15 hours for me as it promised, I liked its finish. It’s really natural looking and moisturizing. Also, as I have a combined/oily skin texture, it did the justice for staying fairly oil-free throughout the day for me.
- Great for Photoshoots. 15 hours stay
- Great formula: covers imperfections using light diffusing beads.
- Gives natural and oil free full to medium coverage
Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation is made in Japan and it’s primarily focused on Asian skin types. It is one of the best foundations for Asian skin and also one of the best Japanese beauty products. It has a lot of great reviews all over the internet. People love that its fragrance-free and has a creamy but not thick texture, which is great because a lot of times cream foundations tend to be a little too thick and unbreathable for Asian skin. Though it’s a little up there in price, people who have tried the product think that it’s totally worth the price. Another great thing about this foundation is that it is formulated without any artificial colors or fragrance or mineral oil and it does not test on animals.
- Great texture: smooth and creamy without being thick.
- Feels weightless and comfortable on the face.
- Does not test on animals.
10. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup SPF 10 for All Skin Types, No. 2c3 Fresco, 1 Ounce
The best thing about Estee Lauder Double Wear Makeup is it stays put for 15 hours. No matter how much you party all night, it will stay put. While it stays put for that long, it can be a bit dry if your skin is not as hydrated.
This is a foundation I trust to keep us looking fresh.
We can get this foundation in 44 different shades and has a smooth, matte finish.
- Long lasting
- Great for oily skin
- Comes in a variety of shades
Each of the product has its own feature and benefits. But the winner for me is Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation. Simply because it is focused on Asian skin type and feels smooth and comfortable on my skin.
Summarizing our list of best foundation for Asian skin:
Things to consider when you’re buying foundation
It can be tricky to know what works best for you. Check the ultimate guide that we had at the top of our post to know your skin type. Usually, if your face is dry, liquid or stick foundation would be good for you as it becomes creamy and packs the most moisturizing properties. But if your skin is oily, it is better to choose powder foundation that absorbs the excess shine, in turn, leaving a matte finish. Experts find it easier to use powder formula as you can layer lightly on dry spots and heavier on oily patches.
The general rule is to go with medium coverage if you want the airbrushed look and to go with full coverage if you need to cover everything such as acne or spots. You can go with light coverage if you just need a light makeup look.
You can find out your undertone by checking out the veins on your wrist. Again, the general rule is if the veins are olive, you probably have a warm undertone. In case they are blue-ish or purple-ish, then you have cool undertones. But if they’re blue-green, then you have a neutral undertone. You need to choose the shade of foundation that can complement your undertone. For me, I like yellow or peach-based shades with warm tones, pink-based shades with cool tones, and yellow shades with neutral tones. That is what most experts use too.
Ingredients in the foundation:
It is important to check the shade and the formula, but it is more important to check the ingredients. If you have an acne-prone skin, then use a foundation that contains zit-fighting salicylic acid. If you have dry, flaky skin, look for serum-infused products that will help you stay moisturized. And if you need UV protection, find the SPF in your foundation that you want to buy.