Breakouts! Who doesn’t hate those blemishes breaking out when you want to cover your skin up? What can get worse than that? When you wear the wrong foundation, your pore can get clogged up such that the pimples stay there, which could seem like FOREVER. And when you thought one just vanished, new ones pop up and it is true that your foundation has a role to play in it. I know, Acne prone skin can be tough to handle. What you need in your foundation are the formulas that have acne-fighting ingredients and oil-free.
- List of 15 best foundations for acne prone skin
- Recommended best foundations for acne prone skin
- 1. Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup
- 2. Fenty beauty pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation
- 3. COVER FX Natural Finish Oil-Free Foundation
- 4. Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation SPF 15
- 5. ESTÉE LAUDER DOUBLE WEAR STAY-IN-PLACE LIQUID MAKEUP
- 6. Becca Perfect Skin Mineral Powder Foundation
- 7. Dior Diorskin Forever Undercover Foundation
- 8. Huda Beauty #FauxFilter Foundation
- 9. CoverGirl CG Smoothers AquaSmooth Compact Foundation
- 10. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15
- 11. Lorac Natural Performance Foundation
- 12. Revlon ColorStay Liquid makeup for Combination/Oily, Nude
- 13. Maybelline New York Superstay Better Skin Foundation
- 14. Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Invisible Skin Fusion Foundation
- 15. L’Oreal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup
- Makeup Tips for Acne Prone Skin
List of 15 best foundations for acne prone skin
Worry not. So that you don’t have to spend time looking for the BEST FOUNDATIONS that you can use for your ACNE PRONE SKIN, we did our own research (and a lot of asking around people, including reflection on my own experiences) and came up with a list of 15 best foundations for acne prone skin.
Recommended best foundations for acne prone skin
If you don’t have time to read all of this, here are our choices for the best foundations for acne prone skin based on various criteria you might have:
- In case you are looking for the best oil-free foundation for acne prone skin, your best alternative would be Lorac Natural Performance Foundation; Finish: Semi-matte, Coverage: medium to full, Shades: 9
- In case you are looking for the best foundation for oily acne-prone skin, your best alternative would be Revlon ColorStay Liquid Makeup for Combination/Oily; Finish: Matte, Coverage: Medium, Shades: 22
- In case you are looking or best oil-free foundation, then Maybelline New York Superstay Better Skin Foundation is also a good choice; Finish: Matte, Coverage: Medium to full, Shades: 16
- In case you are looking for the best foundation for dry, acne prone skin, Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Invisible Skin Fusion Foundation is the best option you have; Finish: Satin, Coverage: Medium, Shades: 12
- In case you are looking for best drugstore option for your acne prone skin, L’Oreal Oarus True Match Super-Blendable Makeup is the one for you; Finish: Matte, Coverage: Medium, Shades: 33
I wanted to list Clinique at the very beginning of our list of best foundations for acne prone skin, because it has been my superhero whenever I had acne popping up. And yes, it’s always come to the rescue and never faied me. This comes with an acne-fighting salicylic acid — a formula that has been popular in man, many pimple-clearing, spot treatments.
- Non-irritating and oil-free fluid foundation
- Blends bumps and neutralizes redness
- Formula that treats existing blemishes
I remember the hype when this product came out. A little secret, every drop of this product is worth the hype. For me, the best thing about this is the way that one pump can sufficiently cover up all those redness and unevenness, and yes, without the need for even a concealer. Also, no, you won’t look like you are wearing a mask. Simply put, it’s flawless. Another best thing? It comes in a wide range of shade. So, pick one before you buy.
- Great for acne prone and oily skin
- Comes in great range of shades
- Can work without a need for a concealer
No matter how overly-sensitive your skin might be, Cover FX Natural Finish Oil-Free Foundation is packed with vitamins, emollients and redness reducers that can improve your skin’s texture. And yes, your skin won’t feel irritated. If you find your perfect shade, you don’t have to stress about building the coverage up ’cause it’s easy from then.
- Water-based liquid foundation
- Provides hydrating
- Vitamins C and E soothe inflammation and reduce redness while protecting against premature skin aging
- Flexible sheer-to-full coverage for the face
- Anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties also protect against damaging environmental factors
If you’ve read our other posts, you might find that this product has been mentioned in quite a lot of lists. Why not, too? It is good for most stuff. This product has been made specifically with acne in mind and that is why it has made our list of best foundations for acne prone skin. We love it because it does not oxidize and most importantly using Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation SPF 15, it is ensured that it will carry out throughout the day like the way you blended it in.
- Multidimensional matte coverage
- Oil-Free Shine Control
- Built with Acne in mind
- Created through a high-speed cold fusion process
- Silky emulsion features a potent combination of wear-extending ingredients, oil-controlling actives, and true-to-skin pigments
This is one of the best foundations for acne prone skin if you are a gym-goer or if you are up for a run and you want to look good. It withstands heat and humidity. The whole thing about Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Liquid Makeup is that it has buildable formula that you can customize based on what your acne situation is – works even if you have single, HUGE blemish or full-face covered up with acne. It works, and it works without changing colour.
- 15-hour staying power
- Flawless throughout the day
- Stays fresh
- Can withstand heat, humidity
If liquid and cream foundations are not for you, then perhaps Becca’s Perfect Skin Mineral POWDER Foundation would be the better choice for you. Not only does it offer coverage and luminous finish, the range of colours and shades that you can get is also awesome. The reason that this product is on our list of best foundations for acne prone skin is that it does not dry to the skin, and because of its mineral-based formulation, is perfect for acne prone skin. Moreover, it does not accentuate your pores or your fine lines.
A little suggestion, however, you could use a primer before you apply this product on your skin.
- Mineral based foundation
- Buildable coverage
- Great for evening out the skin texture
- Antioxidant protection
The Dior Diorskin Forever Undercover Foundation is perhaps the most pigmented foundation that you can get from Dior. As soon as you squeeze the formula into your skin, you don’t need much effort to transform it into a smooth, even texture for your overall makeup. Even better? It lasts up to 24 hours and the foundation literally melts into your skin for that amazing finish that you seek for.
- Extreme camouflage
- Offered in 24 shades for all skin tones
If you are talking about the hype of this product, YES, it is worth the hype. It is one of the highly pigmented foundations in the market and it has the maximum potential to blur out any enlarged blemishes or redness and present your skin in the luminous line. It also offers full coverage makeup and you don’t need to move over any of the area with a concealer since it can act both as a foundation and dark-spot concealer in one product. One light squeeze of this foundation for acne prone skin is more than enough to cover your face.
- Packed with high percentage of ultra-refined pigments
- Enriched with argan oil and centella asiatica — known for hydrating properties
- Fade-proof formula
CoverGirl CG Smoothers AquaSmooth Compact Foundation is rich with vitamin-rich formula, which makes it perfect for acne prone skin. Not only does it moisturize your skin to improve on the condition over long time, but it also provides smooth, even coverage. It’s more of a cream formula, but it melts when you apply it to your skin. Reviews all over say that it covers the blemishes really well.
- Even, lightweight coverage
- Available in 12 different shades, ranging from light to tan
- Transforms into liquid on application
- Contains titanium dioxide sunscreen broad spectrum sunscreen (SPF 20) too
If you have an oily skin and you get acne because of excess oil on your skin, this product is for you. The Amazonian Clay in the shine-free foundation by Tarte absorbs that excess oil that could be acting as catalyst for your blemishes. Another good thing abut this product is that the long-wear formula can work to keep your look blemish-free for up to 12 hours.
- Long-wear foundation can last up to 12 hours
- Available in wide range of shades
The product offers your coverage that can last throughout the day, and the formula is free oil, parabens and fragrances, which contributes to lesser chances of your blemishes breaking the way out. There are three special ingredients in the product that sets it to the prime: Xyleine, premier olive leaf extract and vitamin A. It has good pigmentation and can last long on the skin. I suggest you to use powder, however, if you want to set the foundation to your liking. Since it doesn’t set too fast, it allows you that time and blend. I hate products that needs more exertion of pressure just to blend out the hard lines.
- Long lasting
- Good coverage
If you are looking for the best foundation for acne prone AND OILY skin, this is perhaps the best option. The reason for that is it contains oil-free formula that can absorb oil and shine. The product works great for 16 to 24 hours, keeping your skin fresh for every minute. It is light-weight and contains SPF protection.
- Offers up to full-coverage (Buildable)
- Contains SPF
- Offers wide range of shades
- Doesn’t get cakey on face
As the title of the product goes, it does offer you better skin. It contains actyle-C, which has potent antioxidant benefits. If you consistently use this product, then you could get brighter, smoother and more even skin. Maybelline suggests that you would get it in just three weeks too. A cheap alternative in this list of best foundations for acne prone skin for sure.
- Antioxidant benefits
- Oil-free, skin-transforming medium to full coverage foundation
- Long wear foundation
- Dermatologist tested
- Fade-proof and transfer-proof foundation for better skin
While this product might be on the higher price range, it is certainly worth every penny to be considered one of the best foundations for acne prone skin. The layer is quite consistent: it doesn’t feel too thick or too runny. I feel it to be perfect. The silky texture in the product will definitely give you the luminous look, which I think is awesome. It is the kind of foundation that you would want to use if you want to look as if you are not wearing a foundation, if you get what I mean.
Some people don’t like the scent in the foundation. But I love it. It is great if you have dry acne prone skin.
- Recommended for normal use
- Contains SPF 20 PA+
- Fresh, radiant, uniform and natural colour
For drugstore foundation in this category of “best foundations for acne prone skin”, probably this is the best of the bunch. It is noncomedogenic, which means it is meant to not cause blocked pores. What it can do is hide your redness and imperfections and allows the bit of your skin to show through the foundation. The foundation product contains silky formula that dries down to natural-looking finish, and it is not the kind that you would want if you want your skin to look flat. And yes, as the name suggests, it is super-blendable when you apply it on your skin.
- Matches skin tone and under tone
- Available in 33 shades
- Ultra-pure formula with no oil, fragrance or pore-clogging fillers
- Contains Vitamins A and C, wheat germ and grape fruit extract that can protect your skin
So now that our list of best foundations for acne prone skin is done, we would like to give you extra makeup tips for your acne prone skin.
Makeup Tips for Acne Prone Skin
- Choosing the makeup: Whenever you can, choose makeup with natural ingredients and the foundation with anti-acne ingredients for you acne prone skin. If one doesn’t work for you as you start getting rashes and all, leave it and never try it. It’s better to have pure minerals and it can also help to clear up the skin.
- The Preparation: First, prepare your skin with natural, noncomedogenic and lightweight moisturizer before applying your foundation. This holds your skin better and keeps your skin fresh. You have to keep it for at least 5 to 10 minutes.
- Applying Foundation: Choose foundation that matches your skin tone. It doesn’t really matter if you choose powder, cream or liquid. But make sure that it doesn’t contain oil. In our list above, we have given you the details in which the makeups don’t have oil. Don’t overdo it. You might get the temptation to cover your breakouts by applying your foundation too thickly. DON’T.
- Going back to your blemishes: When the foundation is on, it’s time to take care of the blemishes and breakouts with thick cream concealer and your foundation in a much closer manner. Get some correctors. If you have red spots, use green color corrector underneath the concealer first. If you have dark spots, choose peach color corrector. It is better to use stiff, nylon concealer brushes. For you under-eye circles, choose shades that are lighter than your skin and blend it to give that transition look to your foundation.
- Applying Powder and Blush: Powders are for heavy shine areas. Always remember this: LESS IS MORE. If you don’t need it, don’t use it. As for blushes, use light dust around your cheek and do it over the top of the powder so that the plush is right in place.
- Doing the eyes: If you’re looking to brighten up those eyes and don’t want to use eyeshadows only, add a tinge of champagne (for light skin), gold (for medium skin) or bronze (for dark skin) at the top of the lid and also look to apply it inside the corners of the eyes. Blend it well, such that it is barely noticeable. To finish, use a swipe of dark brown or black mascara, depending on your choice.
- Doing the lip: Well, doing the lip is all up to you. Choose your favorite lip-gloss and dab it with the light lipstick. Then you’re done.
What do you think of our list of best foundations for acne prone skin? What about our makeup tips? Let us know in the comment below: